Thursday, May 19, 2011

Black Bean 'n Pumpkin Chili

I got the following recipe from one of my coworkers. When she first mentioned it, I thought "yuck"! But, now that I have made it a couple of times, I have decided that it is one of my favorite soups and SO healthy for you. This recipe also freezes really well. Enjoy!

1 med. onion - chopped
1 med. yellow pepper - chopped
2 T olive oil
3 cloves garlic - minced
3 cups - chicken broth (low fat/sodium)
2 - 15.5 oz cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
2 1/2 cups cooked turkey sausage (I use pork sausage)
1 - 29 oz can solid pumpkin
1 - 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 tsp parsley flakes
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt

Saute onion and yellow pepper in oil. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to 3 qt slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours.

No comments: