Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cheap, Cheesy, and Mmmmm So Good

No, this post isn't the new title of my blog (probably sums it up though, ha!). Last night I made a recipe that one of my friends/coworkers gave me. It is so delicious and cheap to boot! I had all of the ingredients available (you can find them all at Aldi) and it probably only took about 20 minutes to put together, since I had to cook the chicken breasts frozen (just boiled them).

Chicken Noodle Casserole

1 1/2 c cooked chopped chicken (probably works great with leftovers)
3 c med. egg noodles - cook according to package (al dente)

Cheese sauce:
3 tsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 c milk
1 c chicken broth
1/2 lb velveeta cheese (Aldi brand tastes just as good)

Topping: mix together
1 tube Ritz crackers crumbled (I just smashed them all right in the packaging)
1 stick melted butter

Preheat oven to 350.
1) Cook chicken and noodles and place in bottom of lightly greased 9x13 pan/casserole.
2) Meanwhile melt butter in skillet, add flour and stir. Add milk and stir constantly until thickened. Salt and pepper to taste. Once thick, add chicken broth, and stir until combined. Add chopped up cheese. Stir until smooth.
3) Pour over chicken and noodles. I stirred just a little to make sure the cheese sauce got to all of the parts of the pan.
4) Bake 20 min.
5) While baking, combine crackers and butter.
6) Remove casserole and sprinkle topping across top. Then bake for another 10 min.

Enjoy!

No comments: