Thursday, December 3, 2009

Don't Judge...

...unless you have the entire story. This is what I was thinking today as I was walking around our small-town grocery store with B strapped into the cart. There, I felt many mothers' eyes fall upon my child. You see, my son managed to somehow get into the store with only one sock on. And yes it is quite chilly outside today. But no, he did not leave the house that way nor did he get into the car that way. But somewhere between the car and the area in the store where you pick-up a cart we were solo on the socks. He didn't seem to mind and I wasn't going back out to look for it since I was only there to get out of the house and to get a couple of things. I got a few comments from folks, pointing his bare digits out to me. I'm sure they were just trying to be helpful... Then I saw a more eyes being drawn to the sockless foot and even a couple disapproving shakes of the head. Am I that bad of a mother? No. They don't know that my 7 month old gets his kicks from pulling socks off and hiding them from his mother. For some reason I have been resistant to putting shoes on B. He can't walk, why does he need them? I guess my answer is, to hold the socks on.

2 comments:

Monica B said...

It's true, I look at mothers in a whole new light now. And if O doesn't have shoes on, then she won't have socks either. I don't know when this stops because I watched Gaven do it several times a couple week ago!

Andy said...

Barefeet is always more fun. Linzy will always pull her socks off... now that she's older, she will also take her shoes off... so it doesn't end there.